5 Potential Hazards That Pose a Great Risk in Your Home

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on google
Google+
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn

We often think of our homes as a haven where we can put our guard down. However, if not careful, we are more likely to get seriously injured in our homes than anywhere else. This guide lists potential hazards in your home that you should address to make sure you and your family live in a safe environment.

Electrical Disasters

Electricity poses the risk of causing serious damages to you and your home. One of the main causes of fire in domestic premises is faulty or old wiring. This is the reason why it’s important to ensure electrical installations in your home are safe and conducted by a qualified electrician. Your electrician should replace faulty wiring and outlets and install an arc-fault circuit interrupter (AFCI) to prevent potential electrical fires. Electricians should issue Electrical Installation Condition Reports that summarize your home electrical installations after periodic inspections.

Overloaded plugs

Molds

Mold is harmful to your health, and you should try your best to prevent it or get rid of it the moment you spot it. There are various types of mold, some of which are odorless while others can be detected by smell. It is important to keep your house at a relative humidity of below 50% and well ventilated since mold flourishes in dusty and damp conditions. Dry up any stagnant water and call a professional to treat any mold that you spot as soon as possible.

Gas Leaks

A lot of homes use natural gas for heat, hot water, and other home appliances. A leak is a potential hazard that can burn down your house. It can also produce carbon dioxide if it does not burn up completely, which has the potential to kill you. If you smell a sulfuric, rotten odor in your house, you should immediately leave the house and contact your gas provider since it might be a gas lick. You should also install a gas leak detector to be safe. More often than not, you might not be able to detect the smell.

Deadly Lead Paint

Homes that were constructed before 1980 may contain lead paint. This hazardous paint is dangerous to ingest or inhale especially for children and pets. You can conduct tests to confirm if there is a presence of lead in your home. If by chance there is, hire a certified professional to eliminate it in your home.

Radon

This gas is a byproduct of decaying uranium in the soil and poses the risk of causing lung cancer. Contact a radon gas office to request a test kit so you can know for certain if there is a presence or absence of radon in your home. If you detect the presence of radon in your home, seal any cracks in your floor basement, install an attic fan and run a vent pipe from beneath your house to an exhaust pipe on the roof.

Your home should be a safe zone for you and your family. Fix any potential hazard you may notice, and you will breathe easier at the comfort of your home.

More to explore

Our Picks

Sign up for the most
interesting stories
around the net!

    Scroll to Top